Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Part 1: Moms and Tow Trucks

Hello Hello,

So it's been a busy couple of weeks and I imagine you are all dying to know about our latest travels. I definitely have some good stories to share, so please do stay tuned for the following. I have separated the entry into two blogs since it is so long. Hope you enjoy!

First, my mom (mum for you brits) visited for about 9 or 10 days. We spent the first 5 or so days in Granada, where unfortunately we experienced lots of rain and little sunshine. Plus Granada is beautiful and the tapas are free, how can one complain? It was okay though, as afterwards, we rented a car and drove up to Salamanca. 

So on to our travels. Salamanca is a beautiful city known for its university, the oldest in Spain, the plaza mayor, arguably the best in Spain and its historic center. Below is a picture of my mom and the plaza mayor.
They used to hold bullfights in this plaza until the late 1800s. That must have been scary as hell. We also visited the House of Shells, the university, the Cathedral, which was separated into the old and new cathedral.  For some reason, which I still don't understand even though my mom and Elisa like to argue with me, instead of expanding the size of the old cathedral in the early 1500s, they decided to build a new cathedral, right next to it.  Both were amazing, but the old cathedral was truly incredible with old paintings on the wall and the oldest organ in Europe. 

We also visited an amazing convent with the most delicious almond cookies.  The convent was also interesting because of the crazy designs all around the cloister.
Such as this one. There were also dragons and other interesting depictions of animals and men. So after we left Salamanca, we realized we needed to fill our rental car with gas. We stopped at a nearby gas station and kept on our way.  After no more then 10 minutes, the car started to shake. It was very strange so we quickly pulled over, called the rental company and instantly realized our mistake.   The car was diesel and we had stupidly filled it with regular gas.  And guess what the lady at the car rental company recommended: to drive the car to the nearest gas station.  Luckily, the car wouldn't start again and plus, I didn't think that was a great idea anyways.

So as we were waiting for the tow truck (about 2 hours), the very helpful Spanish police came to aid us in our plight.  
Yes, you see that little orange cone. That was all the help the Spanish traffic police could muster.  
And then the tow truck finally arrived to take us back from where we had left, Salamanca.  Salamanca just wouldn't let us leave.
That's me. I got to chill in the car as it was being towed back to Salamanca.  So after 7 hours and many euros later, we were back on the road, the car was fine, and we stopped by Avila to take some quick shots. Avila is very well known because it's city walls and towers are perfectly intact, a feat no other Spanish city can claim.















After our brief stop in Avila, we continued on to Segovia, famous for its aqueduct and an absolutely beautiful city, probably my favorite of the trip.















There is only one word to describe the aqueduct of Segovia: Unreal.  We had a great time, enjoyed the sites, the main plaza and especially the food. They had lots of delicious ham and the weather was nice. It was a good visit with the madre.

Anyways, I want to write more, but I'm exhausted. TOo much travel and time for bed.  I believe I am going skiing friday, then elisa's friend is visiting monday and my dad, stepmom, sister and grandmother are visiting starting next week.  I will be sure to write again soon. Anyways, for now, take care and good night!

No comments: