Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My First Two Months in Granada



Hello Friends, Family and Others:

Forgive me for the long period of time (more than two months now) that it has taken me to create this blog. I hope that my future entries can portray a small delicious slice of my life here in Granada, hopefully to the fullest of your wants and satisfactions.

1. MY JOB
So, to fill you all in. For those who do not know, I have spent the last two months teaching English in an elementary school in a small town called Atarfe, approximately 8 kilometers from Granada. There are two English teachers at my school, one of whom doesn't speak English well and the other who speaks English a little better. Thus, if you can't guess already, my job there is quite tough, but also quite important. It is my job to assist these two english professors as a native speaker (this is particularly important since spanish pronunciation of english is quite awful).

Further, even though most of the kids have taken a few years of english (english is a part of the spanish curriculum starting with kids from 3 years old in most, if not all public schools), most, if not all, barely speak a word. They may know how to say dog, but many did not know what hello means. Now, of course, most of them know hello, good morning. It is definitely tough, but a very rewarding experience and I am learning quite a lot about teaching a foreign language.

2. MY PISO (APARTMENT)
Even though it is currently freezing in our apartment(approximately 14 degrees in our appartment or for you silly americans, a little less than 60 degrees), I couldn't be living in a better location nor a better apartment. I live on plaza de las pasiegas overlooking the cathedral of granada in the center of the city. We have marble floors, a huge living room, central heating (which is almost unheard of in España, particularly andalucía), wifi and small terraces (overlooking our beautiful plaza and the cathedral).

Elisa and I live with 3 Europeans, two from Finland (which just so happens to be the goofiest country on earth) and one from Greece. They are very easy to live with and have become good friends.  We often make dinners for each other as well so we've been eating quite well. One time, the boyfriend of my Greek roommate visited and made a typical Greek dish, usually made for the Gods, or so he told me. It was some fish soup with a million different things in it and was delicious.

Pictures:

Note: That first picture above is the view from the terrace of my apartment.

Our Living Room

Greek Roommate Maro, Elisa and I sitting in the Albaicin in front of la Alhambra

Due to the awesome location of our place, 3 out of the first 4 weekends we were living here, we had different events and spectacles including a medieval fair for two of them and a post-modern play (pictured above). This picture is taken from our terrace.



Thank you all for reading and I do hope to hear from you guys! I will write again about my work and my travels thus far soon!

2 comments:

Joe said...

Screw the living room....let me see the bedroom (aw yeah)!

Bonnie said...

14 degrees, you're lucky. right now mine is 10. I guess insulation is better in Spain than it is in China. Thank god for space heaters and electric blankets! Out of curiousity, what sounds can't your children make? Mine can't make the TH sound, it comes out zzz, "zanks" or l, which sounds more like an r.